Monday, June 30, 2014

What Modifications For Learners who are exceptional

The class that I was volunteering in. The teacher never came out and said, " So and So has ADHD, or So and So needs items explained more then once." But as I mentioned in my previous post she was very good and making sure those that didn't understand were able to get the clarification that they needed.

But now that I have been through this course there are items that stick out. For instance we had one young man who had a very difficult time staying on task and he was very good at distracting others. After a couple of times of reminding him to stay on task, one time she had him come up to a table that was closer to her with less children, and asked him to write a list of words that describes himself.  What she did was break down the assignment to smaller tasks for him to focus on instead of a whole large assignment.

She also had removed him from distractions and brought closer to the person giving the instructions. I already thought she was a great teacher to shadow but as I continue on with this I realize she had the tools of a Seasoned veteran with learning to back her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment